Re: Digital Watchdog VMAXFLEX - (Why its discontinued)

"mleuck" <m.leuck@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> On Monday, March 30, 2015 at 5:15:16 PM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote:
>> I knew it was discontinued, but it such a decent unit for the price that
>> was still buying them for new installations.  That might not have been
>> such
>> a great idea.  I was told today they were not discontinued to make way
>> for
>> the new improved (and usually more expensive) model as companies are wont
>> do, but because they can't get the parts to keep building them.  This
>> means
>> when customers units are due for a rebuild in several years they will
>> most
>> likely HAVE TO be replaced instead of rebuilt.
>
> I don't agree with that Bob, DVR's in general have gone way down in price
> over the last 10-15 years and even some of the cheapest crap has quite a
> bit of technology included. They are these days nothing more than a PC
> with a cheap multi input video card. And like a desktop PC it easier to
> junk the old stuff and replace it with something new which will likely be
> twice as good at half the cost. That Digital Watchdog looks like a nice
> unit but has nothing I haven't seen on other units.
>
> I have several DVR's laying around that went for several thousand dollars
> when new 10 years ago now I'm about to toss em because they are almost
> worthless. That's why a lot of big names are no longer in the biz. In my
> opinion the value is in the remote software more than the DVR

Actually I have been using them as replacements for other DVRs, so I don't
disagree with your basic premise.  I just like to think things are
repairable.  The customers do to even if they decided to replace and upgrade
instead.

Bob La Londe
The Security Consultant
Licenses ROC103044 & ROC103047