Re: Glass break sensors: FG1608 vs Shatterpoint 5620?

On Tuesday, June 30, 2015 at 1:30:17 AM UTC-4, maxwe...@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Well, to get back to the original topic, I got a 5620 Shatterpoint sensor=
 installed. The shock sensitivity is quite poor. I have to wack the frame w=
ithin a few inches of the sensor, otherwise it doesn't respond to the shock=
. Not sure if I got somehow a defective unit off e-bay, but it appeared new=
.=20
>=20
> The shock sensor is a little piezo sounder, which seems fine. There is no=
 sensitivity adjustment, as far I can tell it goes into a PIC microprocesso=
r without any amplification.=20
>=20
> If anyone has these units, how sensitive do they supposed to be to shock?

I'm not familiar with the particular unit you have but from your above desc=
ription it seems as if you are expecting the unit to respond to the shock .=
... alone.=20

Typically a glass break detector should be mounted firmly to a wall or ceil=
ing at a distance no further than the instructions recommend. I always inst=
all them well within the recommended distance. Installed in direct line of =
sight of the glass. Not near air ducts. Rooms that are "soft" are going to =
limit the sensitivity. Rooms that are hard are going to enhance sensitivity=
. Windows with blinds, curtains or drapes will be less likely to trip the s=
ensor. When the shock occurs the unit will not go into alarm. When the shoc=
k is followed by the sound of breaking glass, it should trip.=20

Testing them is somewhat an act of faith. Manufacturers will have a recomme=
nded audio tester available to purchase which you are supposed to believe w=
ill test the unit appropriately as an actual breaking of the window. I use =
the tester but hardly believe it is a true test. Years ago, when audio glas=
s break detectors were new to the industry, one manufacturer (I forget who)=
 would send a rock with the detector tagged with a note "Glass break tester=
"=20

You might want to break up some glass, put the pieces in a larger sealed gl=
ass jar and then hit the wall and shake the glass jar. I used to do that be=
fore the manufacturers came out with testers. YMMV. As the sensors became m=
ore advanced that method didn't work as well.