Re: How long do batteries typically last for wireless door sensors?

On 1/21/2015 1:57 AM, johnr wrote:
> On 01/17/2015 06:49 PM, JoeRaisin wrote:
>> On 1/17/2015 8:06 PM, strangways@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>> Hi
>>> Im looking for a self monitored system. I was anticipating wiring the
>>> sensors
>>> up myself, which wouldn't have been too much of a bother, but it looks
>>> like
>>> most systems are wireless these days, which means easier install, but
>>> you have
>>> to replace the batteries. My system will require 3 door sensors. No
>>> motion sensors.
>>> How long do the batteries typically last in these wireless sensors? If
>>> I can
>>> replace them spring and fall that would be fine, but if its more
>>> frequently,
>>> then Id rather go wired.
>>
>> For most systems the batteries should last a couple years.  Replacing
>> them every two years would be more than prudent.
>>
>> Wireless alarm systems will also tell you if a sensor's battery is
>> getting low.
>>
>>> Please suggest hard wired self-monitored systems. THanks
>>>

> The batteries will last 5-7 years depending on how often the doors are
> opened.  Your application sounds like a concrete room with three steel
> doors with steel frames, as you feel there is no need for motion
> detection.  The batteries must be replaced within 1 week (approx) from
> the receipt of the low battery signal (self monitoring), as the
> discharge knee of lithium batteries is very sharp.  They will cost you
> from 1-3 dollars each.  I suggest you replace them all at once.  I would
> also consider a motion detector, as a door and a motion detector signal
> means an entry.
>
> John
> American Sentry Systems, Inc.

In his original post he only plans on using it when he is home, so
motion is just sort of a decoration.

I suspect he wants it just for the room in the basement where he keeps
the captives...

http://instantrimshot.com/index.php?sound=rimshot&play=true