Re: Fire Lite MS5024UD

"Jim Rojas" <jrojas@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:PFaew.733456$Ub6.46948@xxxxxxxxxxx
> On 11/28/2014 9:08 PM, ABLE1 wrote:
>> Ok, So just to spark a few post here I thought I would share
>> my latest challenge.  And to maybe get some insight at the same time.
>>
>> I have just inherited a MS5024UD panel.  Trying to evaluate the
>> problem has become a problem.  Panel is showing a F 4 trouble.
>>
>> According to the manual this is a Fault on Zone 4.  Cool that was easy.
>>
>> Well when I check the resistance of the loop I get 4.76k worth.
>> That is correct.  I placed a 4.7K resistor across the zone.  No Change.
>>
>> My thought is that the mother board has a problem with Zone 4 OR the
>> panel has some program issue that is causing the fault.
>>
>> So my question is:
>> Any of you guys know anything about this panel enough to give some
>> insight??
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Les
>>

> I use to field repair hundreds of fire panels before NFPA72 stated we
> couldn't do it anymore.
>
> I am assuming you removed the field wiring before you put the resistor
> across it? Did you swap zones around? Try swapping zone 3 & zone 4. (make
> sure you are swapping same class zones (Class A or Class B)
>
> If yes, the panel most likely took a strike or a surge on that zone. It is
> a very common problem. There is a diode or resistor on the board near the
> zone. It is most likely an SMD diode. If not, use a meter and test the
> diode. They are designed to blow to save the panel.
>
> Remove field wiring on zone 3 & 4 (Must be same Class). Then take a
> voltage reading across zone 3. Then take a voltage reading across zone 4.
> This will help to determine if it is a field wiring problem or the panel.
>
> I can't tell you how many times in my 30 years I have walked on a huge
> fire system service call with nothing more than a meter, soldering iron
> and a box full of parts, and start replacing common components that fail.
>
> It is a lost art, just like window foiling... :)
>
> Jim Rojas

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the response.

No I did not swap the field wiring.  With the values I had I did not see the
point.
I did look closely to the components on the board but did not see where
there
was any evidence of a problem.
I know it is most times never easy to see where the smoke escaped.  :-)

My guess, as I said, that the board has an issue.  Mostly likely a strike as
you said.
I am not interested in trying a repair.   But I will do as you suggest and
check
the voltage just to prove that the board is the problem.  Thanks for that
tip.

I was just wondering if there was a possibility
of a program issue that could cause the Fault in some way.

System was installed in 1996 and has seen better days.  My choices are going
to be
limited to the install of a MS-5UD3.  The current wiring plan of the system
has 2 wire smokes as well as Heat & Pull Stations on the same zone.  This
limits
my choice of panels available to use this wiring scheme.

Thanks again and have a good weekend.

Did it get a bit chilly last week??  Sorry I left the rear door open.  ;-)

Les