Re: Solar Panel Source

"Bob La Londe" <none@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:lip4ch$tmn$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> "ABLE1" <nospamhere@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> Hey Guys,
>>
>> I am looking for a good source for a solar panel, charger, battery kit
>> package
>> Need to supply 12vdc with a load of about 50ma for 24/7/365.
>>
>> Anyone know of a source that will provide all as a package sized to fit
>> so to speak??
>>
>> Any thoughts or comments would be helpful.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Les
>

> 50ma is nothing, but the key will be your batteries.  Also your location
> has a high number of low production and short production time days with
> cloud cover, snow fall, and short winter days.  You probably need to plan
> about 4-6 times the capacity the simple math would give you.
>
> I run 60watt panels for alarm panels with cellular communicators here in
> southern Arizona, but we never have a day when the sun doesn't shine at
> least part of the day.  I do run an external battery bank and an inverter
> though because the panel chargers can not keep up cycle rate.  Also that
> way if my battery bank does fail to charge enough for a couple days its
> got another day on the alarm panels internal backup battery.
>
> Anyway, just do the math, and buy a panel big enough to do the job that
> comes with a charge controller.  My 60 watt panels came from Northern Tool
> with a 7 amp charge controller, but I've had them for several years.  I am
> sure you can find a better price today.  You are plenty smart enough to
> figure out what you need.  Its simple amps times volts equals watts
> calculations, and amp hour calculations for some deep cycle batteries.

Almost forgot:

Make sure you use a charge controller.  Your solar cells will discharge your
batteries at night if you don't.  For loads that are close to capacity and
for el-cheapo solar chargers some outfits just use a diode, but that's
sloppy and bound to fail for something that's continuous use like you
describe.