Re: Solar Panel Source

"ABLE1" <nospamhere@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:bBC3v.52259$wZ2.25306@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Hey Guys,
>
> I am looking for a good source for a solar panel, charger, battery kit
> package
> Need to supply 12vdc with a load of about 50ma for 24/7/365.
>
> Anyone know of a source that will provide all as a package sized to fit so
> to speak??
>
> Any thoughts or comments would be helpful.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Les

50ma is nothing, but the key will be your batteries.  Also your location has
a high number of low production and short production time days with cloud
cover, snow fall, and short winter days.  You probably need to plan about
4-6 times the capacity the simple math would give you.

I run 60watt panels for alarm panels with cellular communicators here in
southern Arizona, but we never have a day when the sun doesn't shine at
least part of the day.  I do run an external battery bank and an inverter
though because the panel chargers can not keep up cycle rate.  Also that way
if my battery bank does fail to charge enough for a couple days its got
another day on the alarm panels internal backup battery.

Anyway, just do the math, and buy a panel big enough to do the job that
comes with a charge controller.  My 60 watt panels came from Northern Tool
with a 7 amp charge controller, but I've had them for several years.  I am
sure you can find a better price today.  You are plenty smart enough to
figure out what you need.  Its simple amps times volts equals watts
calculations, and amp hour calculations for some deep cycle batteries.