Re: I have a 5192SD detector, the red light is constantly on.

On 10/17/2013 11:37 AM, Eybob wrote:
> If the red light on detector is on constantly I was wondering if this is
> normal. Is the unit able to be reset? If unit needs to be replaced what
> would
> be the replacement model number?
>
> Thank-you
> Bob

That unit is an addressable device and works only with
Ademco/Vista/First Alert panels that utilize a polling loop.  The
address would be in the form of a serial number that should be on a
sticker affixed to the unit.

What alarm panel are you using and what terminals are you connected to?

A steady light indicates the panel has latched the unit in alarm.  It
should be flashing at ten second intervals (if I recall correctly).  I
don't know if connecting it to a standard 2-wire smoke detector zone
will cause the symptoms you describe, but make sure you are using a
polling loop and have the correct polarity.

Take it down and clean it, reinstall and see if that corrects it.
otherwise replace the unit.

I would generally replace any smoke detector that acts up unless I am
certain of the cause and am confident the device is not at fault and
whatever did cause the problem could not have damaged the unit in any way.

But then, I am something of a smoke detector "nazi" and do not believe
in toying with ANY life/safety device.

Since you didn't mention an alarm panel - on the off chance it is
connected it to a 110vac household smoke detector circuit, remove the
device immediately and throw it in the trash.  I only bring that up as I
have seen ONE time where a guy got hold of some low voltage smokes and
tried to use them on his 110 house ckt.  However, I'm pretty sure that
you wouldn't have a constant red led in that case and the smell should
have alerted you to the issue fairly quickly.