Re: Zapping Camera Problem

"RockyTSquirrel" <gafa_usa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:j9qdnQnMGtFdXT3MnZ2dnUVZ_rOdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> Able1,
>
> surprisingly enough,  we've had the same kind of problem  you described
> originally..
> Our "fix",  least wise  it's stopped 99% of all replacements ,  was to
> float the long runs of coax above ground.. (no grounding at the camera
> end)
> use double surge/lighting arrestors, one at the entry point to the primary
> building another at the recorder.
>
> Our thinking was to reduce or remove the current/voltage surge between
> grounds, and only deal with the transients air born   antenna effect..
> so far (3 years)  its been working..
>
> NOTE:  you'll need to check the surge protectors after any events at the
> building location..
> (you might stop the first one  but if its damaged the next strike  will
> get your cameras again..)
>

> Ideally,  you should run your Cat 5/6 in buried METAL conduit between the
> buildings,  with Transient Surge protection at both building entry points
> which are ground bonded to the structures ground system..  (ie... the
> electric code  NFPA 70  or  IBC)
>
> But unless it?s a new construction,  good luck with that..
>
> RTS

Interesting!!  I can see that being an answer in the right application.
Here it is 250 feet between buildings with no poles to support the coax.
That is not with out planting a few to see if they grow.  The metal conduit
comment is interesting as well and make sense.  May seriously consider for
the next project.  This one is doubtful.

As for "checking the surge protectors after".  How do you do that??  I have
been thinking on the same thing but how does one actually test the dang
thing??  As I understand they are to auto reset unless they are blown and
nothing works.  I am thinking more towards just throw away and replace.  One
of my bigger questions is who makes a better unit for coax?? or what model
or specs should one look for to get the best??  Some spec that they respond
in 3-5 nanoseconds.  Electrical current travels at the speed of light or
186,000 miles per second.  With a little math that would mean that a
nanosecond is equal to 11.8" inches.  At 3-5 nanoseconds the current will
travel 35.4" to 59" before it is clamped to ground.  I try and put at least
that much cable or wire between the protector and the device.  Don't know if
that really helps but in this project it has not.

I will shop around for some starter poles and get them planted.  Maybe by
the time I get this problem resolved they will be tall enough to hang some
wire on.

Thanks for your input.

Les