Re: CCTV using Baluns

On Wednesday, January 2, 2013 10:38:37 PM UTC-5, Jim wrote:
> I'm starting a CCTV job tomorrow in a small (30K sqft)warehouse using ana=
log cameras over cat5. Up till now I've used siamese coax and 12vdc. I typi=
cally do more residential work than commercial so I usualy don't have to wo=
rry about voltage drop.=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> On this system I'm installing 10 inside cameras all with IR LED's. Each c=
amera draws 700ma with IR LED's on. I've got 5 cameras that will be in the =
rear of the warehouse where there are no power outlets so the cameras will =
be aprox 100 to 150 feet from the 24vac power source. I bought Balun's with=
 screw connections (rather than an RJ45 connector) for the Cat5 so that I c=
ould use six of the conductors for the power, giving me aprox a 19 guage wi=
re. I figure that should give me a voltage drop of about 2 volts which is l=
ess than 10% of 24volts required by the cameras. I didn't do any research o=
n what affect the distance of 150 feet over a 24 guage wire would have on t=
he video signal. I don't think it'll be a problem but I can always switch o=
ne of the voltage wires over to the video terminals.=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> I'm just looking for some comments, suggestions and possible problems tha=
t I might not have thought of when using Baluns and Cat5 Any comments about=
 longer distances using Cat5 would be appreciated also. I've got a couple m=
ore larger warehouse jobs coming up so voltage drop is going to be a bigger=
 issue

I have been using baluns since they came out and actually think you get a b=
etter picture on long runs than coax