Re: What the future holds for ASA

On Monday, December 31, 2012 8:26:41 PM UTC-5, Jim wrote:
=20
> Well, I've signed up and presume my E-mail from you is waiting for me to =
pick >up to verify that it's a workable address. Which it is. I just use it=
 for >group use such as this.=20

Actually I added you manually when you registered so you wouldn't have to w=
ait for the e-mail. I was still doing some tweaking when you registered so =
I just went ahead and did it.

>HOWEVER .... now reading this I see that you are trying to confine it to >=
commercial and not residential installations. I think that might be a mista=
ke. >As for me, I no longer take on commercial work unless it's small offic=
e or >business work. I have a feeling that even if you try to restrict it t=
o one >aspect that since alarm companies are so diversified nowdays that it=
 will be >hard to contain it related aspects of what alarm companies do now=
.

Sounds to me like what you're doing isn't a far stretch at all for what the=
 group is really about...INTEGRATION. I read your suggestions and comments =
and you have some good points. This is what I need, good informed feedback.=
 I may re-think some of my plans, but that's what it's all about, getting f=
eedback and re-evaluating and making changes that are in the best interest =
of all. I will at least consider making a Resi-only group within the Forums=
, but I really don't want to mix the 2 and have people from each side have =
to deal with the irrelevant posts from the other group. If I do this, at a =
users request I can give him access to BOTH groups if they so desire. I hav=
e already created several "Restricted Access" groups to discuss things that=
 the public or other companies should not see. The "Outsiders" if you will,=
 won't even SEE these other groups that they do not have access to. If you =
can see it, you can access it. Anyone feeling the need to have a private gr=
oup created for their company can e-mail me and we can discuss the need to =
create other private groups as we go.
=20
> I'm just a small guy now and I do Residential alarms, home theater >insta=
llation and layout, whole house audio, computer network wiring and setup >f=
or residential and small commercial. CCTV, and home automation and lighting=
.

Already covered above.

>=20
> I would think that larger companies would be involed with that and more.=
=20

Some do, mine doesn't, we don't do any Resi stuff at all. but point taken.
=20
>=20
> If your forum works I think you'll have to set up different venues for >d=
ifferent skills, within the site, in order to gain the audience you'll need=
 >to attract others to join. I'd like to see something akin to the AVS foru=
m >(which I realize in primarily DIY's) for the alarm (and related) trade. =
No one >at the AVS forum knows that I'm an installer.

I'm not familiar with that forum but if you hadn't looked yet, I already cr=
eated groups for Hardware & Software both, under EACH category of Access Co=
ntrol, CCTV, Fire, & Intrusion. As I said above, I know there will be categ=
ories needed
to be added, I also created a "Networking" Cat., we'll see what else and ke=
ep tweaking it.
=20
> Also, you mentioned  that you're intentions are to keep your group for tr=
ades >people only but I don't see how you're going to do that without (some=
how) >verifying people when they try to join. For me, it's ideal because I =
wouldn't >allow you to know anything about me or my company. But, of course=
 it makes it >easier for non "qualified" people to join also.

This is true and as I said originally, it's going to have to be a trust iss=
ue (for me trusting them) or else maybe a referral from several other membe=
rs who can vouch for them. I'm not planning on any kind of strict verificat=
ion or revealing of personal info. after all, ASA has been wide open for 22=
 years.
I want it open to anyone who truly belongs without having to jump through h=
oops to get in. On the other hand, I think we as "Professionals" will be ab=
le to tell a novice or worse, a disingenuous person when we see one simply =
by their posts.
I still feel strongly about the NO DIY'ers but maybe they can have their ow=
n group (that we can all access) as well, but with them having no access to=
 the Pros Groups? Something to think about.>=20

>=20
> I see that you're just starting out with the fourm so I'll check in >occa=
sionally to see what's going on.=20

Yes, I am. It is merely a week or so old I believe (don't really recall wha=
t day I finally got it installed properly because their were some files mis=
sing and had to get my SQL Database and php.ini all set up because on my ol=
d board it was all Javascripts and CGI Scripts, etc).
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Thanks for the invite. I'd really like to see it work out.
>=20
> Good luck

Thank YOU for showing an interest and being CIVIL about it. ;)
I hope it works too but it will only work if we work at it TOGETHER.

=20
=20
>=20
> By the way, what was your old screen name here? (if you care to divulge i=
t)

I DO NOT, and I think you can guess why!  :D