Re: What the future holds for ASA

On Saturday, December 29, 2012 6:40:07 PM UTC-5, sp...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Jim, First, yes. I am (was) a regular here in years past. Bass is the rea=
son I left. I simply created the new forum on a whim one day last week, I t=
hink it was, and that made me remember this place. I stopped by to see how =
things were in here and read about the past attempts to start an "Exclusive=
" group, so I posted on it thinking it may interest some. No agenda other t=
han to let it be known it was there if anyone wanted to try it out. I guess=
 I didn't read back in the archives far enough or I would have seen how bad=
 the fighting amongst everyone had progressed. I mean, ONE simple post and =
already I have come under attack by Graham and he's already posting persona=
l information and trying to show how great a stalker he can be. So, let me =
say this to hopefully answer your questions, and then...I think I'm done wi=
th this group again (possibly after replying to Graham, I haven't actually =
decided yet). The intent of http://www.integratedsecurityprofessionals.com/=
 upon creation, was simply to provide a PROFESSIONAL atmosphere for Securit=
y Industry personnel to exchange conversations & Ideas, help one another, s=
ame as here but with enough control to simply keep the conversations profes=
sional and keep the name calling and personal attacks and posting of person=
al info, trade secrets, user codes, etc. to an absolute minimum. There are =
NO requirements other than a valid e-mail address simply to e-mail you your=
 user info. and have you validate that it is an actual working e-mail and n=
ot a SPAMBOT (nearly all web based Message Forums use this method now). The=
re is NO other verification process of any kind and no plans for it. The ex=
pectation is to allow anyone to join who believes they belong to such a gro=
up, although to protect sensitive information from being viewed publicly, t=
here may be a need to create Private Forums within the main site for such a=
 thing. Even still, there is no expectation to make people reveal themselve=
s to enter these rooms. I expect that permission could be given based on ho=
w well trusted that individual is to be an actual person in the industry an=
d a regular user of the forums. In any event, I don't expect people to give=
 up their anonymity. This however is NOT a place for DIY'ers or RESIDENTIAL=
 alarm discussions. Although discussions of Panels that may be used in both=
 Resi AND commercial use is acceptable, as long as it pertains to a commerc=
ial application. If the moderators feel it is inappropriate for a COMMERCIA=
L Based Forum than yes, it may be deleted. Your username and password are c=
reated by YOU and no personal info. is revealed in any way (not even your e=
-mail, unless you enable it) to anyone but the Administrator (me) which, I =
already see that as a problem for you and I fully understand. It's a trust =
thing, you either trust me or you don't. I get that. At this time, the only=
 Moderators (who CANNOT see your personal info) are actually personal frien=
ds and/or co-workers of mine that I know in REAL LIFE and ARE in this indus=
try. If this is acceptable to you (or anyone else here) then by all means c=
ome register. If not, no hard feelings. Have a Happy New Year!

Well, I've signed up and presume my E-mail from you is waiting for me to pi=
ck up to verify that it's a workable address. Which it is. I just use it fo=
r group use such as this. HOWEVER .... now reading this I see that you are =
trying to confine it to commercial and not residential installations. I thi=
nk that might be a mistake. As for me, I no longer take on commercial work =
unless it's small office or business work. I have a feeling that even if yo=
u try to restrict it to one aspect that since alarm companies are so divers=
ified nowdays that it will be hard to contain it related aspects of what al=
arm companies do now.
I'm just a small guy now and I do Residential alarms, home theater installa=
tion and layout, whole house audio, computer network wiring and setup for r=
esidential and small commercial. CCTV, and home automation and lighting.
I would think that larger companies would be involed with that and more.=20

If your forum works I think you'll have to set up different venues for diff=
erent skills, within the site, in order to gain the audience you'll need to=
 attract others to join. I'd like to see something akin to the AVS forum (w=
hich I realize in primarily DIY's) for the alarm (and related) trade. No on=
e at the AVS forum knows that I'm an installer.

Also, you mentioned  that you're intentions are to keep your group for trad=
es people only but I don't see how you're going to do that without (somehow=
) verifying people when they try to join. For me, it's ideal because I woul=
dn't allow you to know anything about me or my company. But, of course it m=
akes it easier for non "qualified" people to join also.=20

I see that you're just starting out with the fourm so I'll check in occasio=
nally to see what's going on.=20

Thanks for the invite. I'd really like to see it work out.
Good luck

By the way, what was your old screen name here? (if you care to divulge it)