Re: Portable work surface

Ever consider using a TV dinner table..
they fold up and are reasonably small..
you can buy them new in sets or look in a second hand store for singles..
I've seen them made from plastic, metal and even wood..

RTS

"NickMark"  wrote in message

On Friday, February 22, 2013 7:43:14 AM UTC-5, JoeRaisin wrote:
> I would like to have some sort of portable work bench/table that I can
>
> stow in my truck.
>

> My truck is a pick up with an 8ft bed and a topper that does not extend
>
> above the cab.  Inside the bed I've divided it roughly down the center
>
> with one side having shelves and tool bag storage and the other with
>
> ladder hutches (8, 6 ft ladders laid flat & 4 ft on its side) and space
>
> for wire spools/boxes, equipment to be installed and other material
>
> (really just open area above the ladder hutch).
>

> I was looking at the black and decker workmate but it really isn't all
>
> that compact when folded.
>

> Do any of you use something like that?  The older I get the farther away
>
> the ground gets and working off a print laying on the cold concrete of a
>
> commercial construction project is getting old.
>

> I've gone so far as to try and design something I could build myself but
>
> since I don't weld or have the ability to shape metal (cut and drill,
>
> sure, but nothing beyond that), everything I can figure out would still
>
> be too clunky - I guess I'm not as creative as I would have liked to
>
> believe.
>

> If you have something proven I'd even be willing to take it to a welder
>
> - but I haven't done that with anything I've come up with as I don't
>
> really want to put out the cash on spec.
>

> Work carts are nice but you have to have a van to stow one of those - so
>
> anything portable and compact along those lines would be great as well.
>

> If you guy know of any products or have even built something along those
>
> lines I would greatly appreciate it... And these old legs would thank
>
> you as well.

I had to do a lot of programming lately so I took card table and folding
chair to job did it ever come in handy  we use 2 saw horse and piece of
plywood for a table works nice