Re: Monitoring Conversion

Les,

Why would you ever want to takeover a panel without checking out thoroughly
what the previous company programmed into the panel?

Do you want to take on the liability for the errors that may be lurking from
the previous company's not-so-swift tech who may not have known what he was
doing?

A company is only as good or reliable as its worst technician.

The independent third-party that makes itself know when something goes
wrong (fire, burglary, rape, etc), is the insurance company's lawyers.
Everyone involved is fair game. Unless you have really deep pockets like ADT
to fight and eventually win even when there is gross negligence, you are
putting yourself, company, and license at risk.

Change the board if you do not have the skill yet to be able to crack it
open. Do the right thing and be proud of your work. You owe it to your
customers, not to your pocketbook. You can ask for some or all of the money
for the cost of the board.

After all, you are in the "security" industry and that is what your
customers expect. Be a security professional, not a monitoring revenue
junkie.

If you find these words offensive, you have been in the business too long.
If you are fairly new, you learned from the wrong people.

There is a device by http://www.digitaldiverter.com/ but that is tied to
their central
station.

Search or call Security Systems News publication/website. I remember an
article
about 2008, a new startup company had a way to default panels to factory
installer.
You had to pay for each takeover. I spoke to the president of the company at
the time.
I had been under the impression that you just bought the device and could
then
default the installer code. But no, he wanted recurring revenue for it. You
could
buy a chip or something that would be good for 5, 10 or 20 times. We parted
on not so good terms. Now basically, we don't even need him. Very seldom do
we have to replace a panel because we can't get into it.

As far as I am concerned, it should be illegal to refuse to make a former
customer's panel accessible within 48 hours after notification. Man, think
about it,
what if the telephone industry was setup like this.   "I'm sorry Mam, but I
can't
get into your phone to program the answering machine and the speed dials.
It's
locked out. You'll have to buy a whole new phone"....well, an alarm panel is
just really a complicated phone, isn't it?