Re: Honeywell IGSMV Requires Crossover cable

"NickMark" <nmarkowitz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> If your going to be installing a Honeywell IGSMV Alarmnet you must use a
> cross over  cat 5 cable not a straight cable or it will not work properly
> they have it in very small print this is cable needed.
> It will cause you major headaches otherwise.

Fortunately you can make them for about a buck even with the correct
connectors for the wire type, and you can buy them premade for a couple
bucks (except at any of the big retails boxes where they probably don't
stock them anymore, and they charge around $20 if they do.)

Not sure what you are plugging it into, but most newer switches are
"auto-stacking" so a cross over cable probably would not have been needed.
I guess it would depend on what the switch sees the device as.

I have three switches on my network and they are all auto-stacking on any
port.  Some of the older switches would have one stack port and a push
button switch on the back that would allow you to change it from a normal
port to a stacking port.

I have on occasion grabbed a small switch off the shelf and plugged it into
a wall jack in my office when I was having a meeting so everybody could plug
in their laptops without my having to give out my wireless codes.  I can
plug into any jack in the building and stack another switch if I need to.