Re: Need a skilled residential installer in New River, AZ area.

"Robert Macy" <robert.a.macy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> On Jan 12, 5:01 pm, "Bob La Londe" <n...@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> "Robert Macy" <robert.a.m...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

>> > Upon rereading the Subject line, decided the Subject line I wrote
>> > sounds RUDE!
>>
>> > Thus, changed to [I hope] better Subject line.
>>
>> > ...I still need to reach a skilled installer in my area.
>>
>> I didn't read anything into it, and would have responded, but there are
>> others who are closer than me.  I'ld be glad to help you myself, but the
>> road trip charges would be killer.  Fuel just isn't cheap these days.
>
> I know what you mean, I get 10 mpg and that costs a lot to go
> anywhere!
>
> My two fold problem:
> 1. how to mount to stucco surface and AVOID any water intrusion.
> 2. exactly where to mount the cameras so the holes for the cables can
> easily get into the attic without hitting structures that can't be
> penetrated except with a magnesium torch.
>
> For a single person installation, it would help to have a wireless
> monitor to be able to adjust each camera while viewing results!  Can
> you recommend a vendor for such an item?

For network/internet ready installation I use my cell phone.  No kidding.

Mounting to "stucco" is a no/no.  Stucco has zero structural strength.  If
the stucco is over sheeting you may be able to get a bite in the sheeting,
but usually its OSB, and OSB is notoriously bad at holding screws.  You best
best is to locate studs behind and set your cameras there.  You can usually
get atleast two screws in the stud.  Seal with painters caulk in the hole
and under the camera mount.  Since you say stucco I assume wood frame
construction, but I do see a fair amount of stucco over brick construction
as well.  In that case its is a little easier.  You can set lag anchors or
even plastic anchors, but you do have to set them back in the brick.

As to wire routing, that is really going to depend on the specific
application.  If there is a large eve you may find yourself mounting on the
eve face, and then drilling a hole in the eve face and the wall header to
slide a piece of conduit through.  It is convenient to locate this right
next to trusses so you can screw conduit clamps to the truss to hold it in
place.

There are lots of little tricks.  Most people won't pay for the time to do
them, but you can often look at a job from the perspective of how you would
install it, and then work backwards to what you want it to do to find good
compromises.