Re: OT Motor Salvage 3 Phase 6 Wire

"Frank Kurz" <tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:qZOdnUxL5OXBS5rSnZ2dnUVZ_oOdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> On 06/01/2012 8:06 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
>> "Bob La Londe" <none@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>> I have a Leland 6273 3 phase 240 V motor I am trying to figure out how
>>> hook up.
>>>
>>> It has 6 black wires coming out of the motor.
>>>
>>> It also has 2 much smaller brown wires coming out that were just tied
>>> out of
>>> the way to the lifting ring. I suspect those were for a tach or
>>> possible a
>>> heat sensor.
>>>
>>> It just has paper labels on the black wires, and they look like they
>>> were
>>> put on by somebody who tried to figure out the motor in the past. They
>>> do
>>> not match up with any of the three phase wiring numbers/ letters
>>> standards
>>> I've been able to find. I want to hook it to a VFD for testing. Since
>>> the
>>> data plate says it will operate from 6-130 HZ and lists a range of RPM
>>> from
>>> 96 to 3680 that tells me was probably intended to operate off of VFD
>>> in the
>>> first place.
>>>
>>> Is there any practical way using a meter to determine which wires to
>>> pair up
>>> to connect to 3 connections on the VFD?
>>
>> My mistake. It say 3/130 hz, not 6/130.
>>
>> The Data Plate Reads:
>>
>> Leland Electrosystems Inc
>> Model 6273
>> Serial TX43042
>> FR 215
>> HP 5
>> HZ 3/130
>> C Temp rise Cont.
>> NO.71
>> RPM 96-3680
>> Class H insulation
>>
>> I'm beginning to think this may likely be a synchronous motor with a
>> start and a run winding. The low frequency and low RPM throws me though.
>>

> You remind me of my Dad.  He was a pack rat too.  :-)

I do go through and throw shit away periodically.  This particular motor
will be used on a Hurco CNC mill if its good and I can figure it out.  (The
motor not the mill)  I already manufacture some parts on smaller CNC mills.
Mills that I have gotten way more work out of than they were ever intended
to produce.  One of the first things this mill will get used for is to make
parts for some intermediate size specialty machines.  Well... if I ever get
it retrofit to a modern control system, working and tested.  Actually, the
first thing it will probably get used for is to make servo motor mounts for
my lathe to convert it to CNC.  It would sure be nice to be able to turn
threads in hard material without standing over the lathe constantly.

None of this has to do with alarms, but I figured somebody here was a motor
wizard.