Re: Need to cut through the BS on Alarm monitoring costs

On Feb 2, 7:27=A0am, blueman <NOS...@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "Bob La Londe" <n...@xxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > "blueman" <NOS...@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>
> >> Just to clarify, I have a DMP XR200 system and I understand that not a=
ll
> >> monitoring companies cover DMP
>
> > Yeah, but DMP can send other formats than DMP format. =A0I thought you
> > were an expert on it? =A0I've got a bunch of DMP panels out there
> > sending contact ID because it works better for the particular
> > application.
>
> Yes I am aware of that but my preference was to stick with DMP
> format. Maybe I should reconsider.
>
> Does one lose any granularity of information in using another format?
>
> By the way, I didn't claim to be an expert on any or all aspects of DMP. =
I said
> that I know the panel better than the senior techs at the current
> company. They just know what they are taught and what they use
> day-to-day and there is frequent turnover. It's not rocket science and
> the techs are not engineers by any stretch of the imagination.

RHC: Just a side note to my last post; in any industry, the vast
majority of shoppers don't want to bother fiddling with their
purchases. In our industry, most buyers barely know what make and
model of alarm system they have, let alone know what makes up good
overall service to them. They bought it because they feel they need
it, not want it, so their after market perspective is somewhat
different. They trust their dealer to do that job for them as they
should (trust IS the overriding factor here). So the industry responds
with various levels of product and service availiblity and pricing,
just as it should. So the customer can decide who he wants to deal
with, how much he wants to pay, and the terms of purchase for his
security needs.

My main beef with the security industry is that few if any alarm
companies advise clients of the simple, no cost and low cost things
they should also do, plus the all important physical security
precautions that MUST be taken to ensure an adequate, OVERALL level of
security. Simply pushing electronic solutions because that's all they
sell, and not advising clients of all the necessary precautions, is
incompetent at best and dishonest at worst. As professionals, our
industry should be selling SECURITY, not just monitoring contracts !!

For 15 years before I got into this industry formally, I specialized
in physically securing homes against break in. I did thousands of
homes, and to my knowledge, never did one of my clients have a break
in after that. Several customers were attacked, but nothing came of
it. It's not rocket science; only common sense in most cases. Nor does
it cost much, and has no ongoing costs.

Sir, to this point, you seem to have thought out very well the
intricacies of monitoring services; you might want to do the same for
the physical secuirty of your home.