Re: Need to cut through the BS on Alarm monitoring costs

On Feb 1, 5:58=A0pm, tourman <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Feb 1, 5:34=A0pm, blueman <NOS...@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > I am looking for honest, unbiased, unemotional answers to this
> > question. (I know it's Usenet, but one can always hope...)
>
> > I currently have a fire & burglary monitoring policy with the local
> > dominant alarm company. I own the equipment and I am responsible for
> > service charges to fix the equipment.
>
> > They charge me $36/month for straight Internet monitoring.
>
> > National online monitoring companies offer seemingly the same service
> > for $8.95/month. Or 1/4 the cost.
>
> > My high-priced local company claims:
> > - They are big (20,000 customers) - but the national competitor claims
> > =A0 40,000 customers
>
> > - Their service center is "local" -- but it's really halfway across the
> > =A0 state so does that really mean anything in the day of the Internet
>
> > - They are a "security company" vs. competitors being "monitoring"
> > =A0 companies. Though not sure what that means or why I care
>
> > - They have a 5-star UL-listed center - but the national competitor
> > =A0 claims to be UL-listed and it's not clear what 5-stars means and wh=
> > =A0 even grants such certification. Sounds like marketing hype.
>
> > - They have 30-second average response time -- but competitor claims th=
> > =A0 same
>
> > - They say they have a better BBB track record than big national
> > =A0 competitors - but the competitor claims an A+ BBB rating which can'=
> > =A0 be too bad
>
> > The bottom line is that I can't see one compelling reason to pay 4 time=
> > the competitor rate for what seems to be a commodity service.
>
> > - I live in a very safe, low crime neighborhood.
>
> > - I primarily pay for the monitoring to get the insurance break.
>
> > - I don't stay up nights worrying about fires or burglaries and in any
> > =A0 case I still have the in-house alarm to warn me of a fire and scare
> > =A0 off amateur burgalers.
>
> > - I am technically adept and have no problem servicing and programming
> > =A0 my system
>
> > Seems like worst case perhaps the response time will be a few seconds
> > longer in some rare cases or maybe there is a small chance they will
> > make a mistake -- but the point is that there are so many other failure
> > points in a security system and we are talking about rare events (fire,
> > burglary) anyway.
>
> > So, why pay 4 times as much????
>
> RHC; Sir, you pose a valid and excellent question. Bottom line, no
> matter what anyone says, monitoring is pretty much the same wherever
> you get it, regardless of price. Provided you are capable and willing
> to look after your system yourself, there is no reason NOT to use the
> most reasonable monitoring station around. Especially so if all you
> need is the insurance certificate for home insurance reduction.
> However, in fairness, I have rarely ever found any end user competent
> enough to really understand the total functionality of his alarm
> system, so think that one through carefully.

> [...]

Didn't see a way to give you feedback on your website...

the page you referenced says, "Click above to learn how to PROPERLY
secure your home or business from the detailed article which is part
of this website."

Uh, ...are your articles REALLY that dangerous? ;)