Re: another newbie, what to do with this Brinks alarm system?

On Friday, November 3, 2006 1:26:07 PM UTC-4, to...@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new here as well, and have looked for a FAQ for the group and came
> up empty, and I hope my question isn't too basic!
>
> I've recently moved into a home that has a Brinks alarm system
> installed, looks to have been installed in 2004.  We opted not to
> continue the rather pricey monthly monitoring service given the
> neighborhood, and the proportion of time we spend at home.  (The prior
> owners I'm told were working out of the country and had it installed
> due to their absence).
>
> Anyway, we have all this hardware, wired door and window sensors,
> other sensors labeled as "PIR" devices (passive infrared if my
> research is to believed?) inside the control box that I assume are the
> motion detectors I see up on the walls of various locations in the
> house.  I'm thinking there's got to be a way to put all these goodies
> to use with a do it yourself sort of setup that maybe could leverage
> an internet or phone connection to call my cell phone in case of
> trouble.
>
> The main box of the alarm has a circuit board that's about 8x4" with
> no real identifying marks on it.  I would have to assume I'd have to
> get a new controller board for the DIY system and then just re-use all
> the existing sensors?
>
> Anyone with experience doing the same?
>
> Thanks for any insight or advice, or a pointer to some good jumpstart
> resources for reading/research.
>
> Best Regards,
> Todd

The thing with security systems is that you never know when you need one. Best to be safe and protect your family. Just call and have them reconnect the service. It's relatively inexpensive, in my opinion.

http://reviewhomesecuritysystems.com