Re: Theft alarm for portable generator?

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 00:55:34 -0500, G. Morgan <G_Morgan@xxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>Curmudgeon Wrote:
>
>>I have purchased an expensive portable generator to provide power
>>during our frequent outages. The generator is stored in my garage, but
>>must be wheeled outside to the driveway when it is in use. I would
>>like to devise some sort of sensor that would trigger the alarm system
>>if the security cable is cut or the sensor is disturbed. Can you
>>suggest anything that might work? The generator will be run under
>>cover, protected from rain/snow but open on the sides for ventilation.
>>As an additional deterrent the generator will also be chained to a
>>sturdy anchor system buried 36? in the ground.
>
>Here is what I did for outside A/C units (copper theft).

Thanks for the suggestion - I have decided to take a simpler route. I
have ordered a 15-foot LockAlarm (http://www.etipinc.com/lockalarm.asp
). I can loop this around the generator, through my ground anchor, and
into my adjacent kitchen through the window. If the alarm sounds I
will surely hear it. The generator will only be used if I am at home,
so it will never sit unattended in the driveway. This is not perfect,
but I think it's close enough since I'm close to the road in a densely
populated community. My setup should provide enough deterrence to send
the bad guys someplace easier. I hope...

Thanks
Dave (the Curmudgeon)

But I did like the concept of making the generator chassis hot,
thiough.