Re: Theft alarm for portable generator?

Curmudgeon Wrote:

>I have purchased an expensive portable generator to provide power
>during our frequent outages. The generator is stored in my garage, but
>must be wheeled outside to the driveway when it is in use. I would
>like to devise some sort of sensor that would trigger the alarm system
>if the security cable is cut or the sensor is disturbed. Can you
>suggest anything that might work? The generator will be run under
>cover, protected from rain/snow but open on the sides for ventilation.
>As an additional deterrent the generator will also be chained to a
>sturdy anchor system buried 36â?? in the ground.

Here is what I did for outside A/C units (copper theft).

Just run a 2 conductor from a spare zone on the panel, loop the cable
several times around a part that is immovable (wire has to be cut to
move it).  Be sure to put the resistor across the wires at the
generator, and wrap neatly in electrical tape.

Buy or make 2 quick-connects.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=B000Y89TDM&x=23&y=17

You need one more resistor to be used for clearing the zone when the
generator is not in use.  Just let one of the connectors from the panel
hang outside the can (the one hooked to the zone obviously).  Don't let
any metal leads from resistor touch the can.

Put a resistor across the other side of the disconnect harness, this
will dangle from the panel keeping the panel in normal mode.  Disconnect
it and plug in your 2 conductor cable when generator is out.

In case this makes no sense, I drew a diagram (poorly):
http://i55.tinypic.com/mwv7uh.jpg

Is Vector monitoring the alarm?  If so, they need to do the work
(programming).  I'm not sure which zone type is best.  I think I would
program it as a 24hr. day/night zone. If the system is disarmed (you're
@ home), your keypad(s) will just go nuts beeping alerting you that
something has disconnected.  If the system is armed (you're sleeping),
the zone will go into full blown alarm, central station response will be
optional for that zone, you have to tell Vector how you want them to
handle that signal (maybe call the house, neighbor and your cell only,
no police dispatch)