Re: Internet Explorer and Security Cam DVR Systems

G.Morgan wrote:

> Tony Sivori Wrote:
>>What functions do I lose by not using Internet Explorer?
>
> All of them except just a live picture.

So I could do live monitoring on the LAN, but I couldn't set zones, motion
detection, PTZ and the like without IE? Could I still do that directly
through the DVR controls?

> Most need an Active-X applet for full control.  Also, let's say you
> install Windows in a Virtual Machine. DO NOT UPGRADE TO IE9.  Most DVR's
> Active-x control will not run on IE9.
>
> Why not just dual boot?  I always have a standby OS (2 Windows
> installations) in case the main one gets borked and I don't have time to
> fix it.

I dual booted for a few years after switching to Linux. But I haven't had
Windows on my computer for several years. It would be inconvenient to
reboot to an OS that I have no other use for, just to monitor or control
the security cams.

If worse came to worst, I'd just get a low end Windows machine for use
only with the security cams.

--
Tony Sivori