Internet Explorer and Security Cam DVR Systems

I'm looking for an eight cam DVR system. I see that a lot of them run
Linux in the DVR, but require Internet Explorer for remote PC access or
uploading.

I run Linux on my computer, so I have Firefox and Chrome, but no Internet
Explorer. I could jump through a few hoops and get IE running on Linux,
but due to security implications I don't want to do that.

What functions do I lose by not using Internet Explorer?

--
Tony Sivori