Re: Does anybody have experience with the following equipment?

On Dec 21, 11:12=A0am, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Dec 20, 12:12=A0pm, Robert Macy <robert.a.m...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Most .... alot of Supercircuits and Security Cameras Direct products
> > > are low to medium quality level. Some are pretty good but they are th=
> > > one's that cost the most. The problem is ..... you never know if the
> > > one your are buying is a good low priced product or a cheap low price=
> > > product. We (in the trade) can buy low priced CCTV equipment from our
> > > suppliers also but .... those of us who want to retain customers for
> > > the long haul are not willing to take the risk of buying a cheap
> > > product that we are warrantying. I don't want to have to go back to a
> > > customer in a year to replace a camera or DVR that hasn't lasted. I
> > > don't do as much CCTV installation as the people who use the cheap
> > > stuff but the products I put in last and last and last. And that's th=
> > > issue I always raise when someone who has asked me for a quote and se=
> > > that my pricing is on the high side. I don't install crap. I'd rather
> > > not get the job than have to make excuses because what I installed
> > > failed or my customer see's his friends system that looks twice as
> > > good as what I put in. I've got cameras and DVR's in the field for te=
> > > or more years with out a failure ( except for hard drives, which is
> > > expected) Maybe some of the cheaper products would last as long, I
> > > don't know, but I'm not going to take the chance.
>
> > > Most of it is easy to install (for me) Some of the DVR setup for
> > > remote viewing can be a PITA though. Mainly because the mfg techs
> > > don't want to get into helping you make changes to the customers
> > > routers/networks etc. They don't want to be involved if a router get'=
> > > bricked or a breach in security is caused. Can't blame them ....
> > > though. I always tell the client that there's a possibility that they
> > > may have to call in an IT guy to set up their network for remote
> > > viewing.
>
> > Jim,
>
> > Thank you for your comments. Yes, in security systems, I'm buying the
> > FUNCTION not the COMPONENT. =A0Therefore, it should last years, and
> > years.
>
> > We're located 40 miles north of Phoenix. Where are you physically
> > located? =A0Can I buy such a system through your books?
>
> > Even with shipping might save substantially and improve your volume.
> > Please let me know.-
>
> I'm located in New York .... and ..... no ........ I would not
> provide an end user with the means to bypass an installing dealer.
> I've spent 40 years learning and honing my skills and knowledge about
> my trade. The fact that I provide information here is even somewhat of
> a breach of (my) ethics.
>
> The fact that an end user has to go through a learning curve to obtain
> what they feel is sufficent information about a DIY project, gives the
> smart ones some pause to question if they are up to the skills
> required for them to complete their project to meet their needs
> [...]

Years ago my father said to me, "Son, I'm going to give you some
advice. Never, ever, buy retail." Thus, I always ask.

Thank you for the thoughtful response. "No," *IS* an ok response.

Some background: Back in the days when analog TV was the only method,
I designed security systems, which included surveillance systems as
back up. We're talking about military/aerospace, foreign government
type grade technology that would knock your socks off.  For example,
if you cut a cable, the system kept working and told you where the
cable was cut.

Specific sensors for intrusion detection and perimeter security
systems for use around airports, military bases, prisons, etc etc
Some of these systems are very visible and so imposing that nearby to
the company's test site [where mock up sections of fencing were used
for in situ testing in the real world] neighboring industries'
personnel would stop by from time to time and ask if they were safe
from whatever we were doing there.  LOL!  Yes, those 'visible' fences
looked scarey.  Also, designed those 'invisible' fences and boundaries
that detected an intruder, but you could not see them, for they were
buried, out of sight, some even used 'beam microwave'..  The most
imaginative intrusion detection sensor was actually suggested by a
technicain working for me.  He came up with using fibre optics to
detect an intruder, again out of sight from the intruder *and*
absolutely undetectable using a cable detector!  The fibre optic cable
detected an intruder walking over the cable, detected someone
hammering through a wall, any attempt to breach the perimeter this
cable was protecting and the sensor caught it.  Very undetectable, try
and find a fibre optic cable buried in a wall.

I used to go to the International trade shows usually held in England,
where the East and the West could mingle [during the Cold War days] I
could tell you the story of how the section chief of the East German
intelligence honed in on us. Such operatives can do many things, but
they cannot hide their intelligence.It's as obvious as white socks on
a cop.

Even designed those personnel identifiers that use biometric
parameters. Had a General from south american country legitimately ask
what if someone cuts off the hand of the person and tries to use that
to gain access? Serendipitously, the technique for measuring the
biometric parameters was not optical, rather more IR and so was
sensitive to some unknown characteristics in flesh including the
moisture content of the person. For this customer our bane was his
saving grace, because almost immediately upon being severed the flesh
changes enough that the technique used to measure the parameters
shifted so that the person's hand no longer 'looked' like the person's
hand - to this sensor. Thus, no access.  Gruesome details of those in
the serious security industry.

If during your installations your customer wants something a little
different [like 'invisible' detection boundaries], ask away.