Re: "Failure to communicate" problems

On Apr 22, 11:01=A0am, "Doug" <d...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> "tourman" <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> > Perhaps some of the regulars can suggest a solution to a problem I'm
> > having. =A0For years now, I've been having random failures to
> > communicate that are not caused by improper programming of the panels.
> > There seems to be no pattern to them that I can determine, nor is it
> > make specific. The station is no help and insist there are enough
> > lines coming in to handle any amount of traffic. Whenever they happen,
> > I have the client send a manual test through to the station, and it
> > always goes through properly. This only seems to occur with
> > conventional land lines
>
> > I get daily reports and every day, and there is at least one panel
> > that doesn't seem to have communicated it's test signal (out of a base
> > of 1100 accounts). When I check, rarely is it a real problem....
>
> > Can anyone familiar with station technology suggest potential
> > solutions/problems that could be occurring. I'm at a loss...
>
> What carrier are you using?
> I believe that some long distance carriers use some form of VoIP to route
> calls over their network, so even if you have a the alarm connected to a
> POTs line, the signal may end up being transmitted over VoIP. Even if the
> call is routed over a conventional circuit, my money is on congestion or
> some other issue on the part of the carrier, not at the central station.
>
> Do the panels show a FTC trouble, I've seen on rare occasions where the
> panel has =A0received a kissoff, but the signal has been corrupted and sh=
own
> up on another account.
>
> Assuming you have your own 800 lines for the receivers, then take a look =
at
> your 800 phone bill and see if an account that has missed a timer test
> completed a call or made repeated calls on the day & time it missed a
> signal.
> If your bill shows that the panel completed a call of a duration that
> indicates it sent a signal, then have the central station run a report to
> see if another account received an unexpected timer test at that time.
>
> Doug

RHC: Customers are using the telephone company's lines (Bell Canada)
for calling in and the stations receiver number are also local Bell
lines. Some clients use Rogers cable phone (which technically IS VoIP,
but works well because nothing goes out over the internet at any point
that matters).  I'm not using long distance lines since the station is
local to Ottawa.
You bring up a good and obvious point though - does the panel show FTC
troubles when this happens and I can only say sometimes (usually only
the ones where the client calls me about it). Most of the problems are
identified in my daily test reports. But I'll check that more
carefully.  I've talked to the station manager but honestly, he is no
help whatsoever so I don't know if this is a client problem or a
station problem. I will talk to other dealers on the station to see if
they have the same problem occurring (another obvious answer...:))

Thanks for the come back.