Re: Eastern CCTV (NOT Eastern Distributing)

On 4/5/2011 6:16 PM, ABLE1 wrote:
> "Bob La Londe"<onebikenut@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote in message
>> I got a flier from them the other day.  They have mostly the same low end
>> import and house brand stuff as a lot of other flier marketer CCTV
>> companies.  One thing I noticed though was a 20 AMP DC power supply for a
>> pretty decent price.
>>
>> I have been using two Altronix SMP10s for most 16 camera w/IR
>> installations.
>>
>> You can buy two of Eastern's power supply in a can for the price of one
>> Altronix SMP10.  Atleast at the advertised sale price in their flier.
>> That means for the price of power supplies from Altronix for one site I
>> could power four sites from Eastern.
>>
>> Now the big questions.
>>
>> Have any of you guys used one?
>> How clean was the power?
>> Big caps?  Little caps?  No caps?
>

> I have that flier as well.  You are talking about the CP1218-20A??
>
> Never used one but from the tiny picture it is not a PS that I would use.
> I have a tendency to not buy from these fliers.  I pretty much look at them
> see what else is out there.
> Remember you always get what you pay for.
>
> It does say that it has 18 channels, which would be a small bonus.
>
> Les

I would limit it to 16 connections.  The SMP10 from Altronix is 10 amps,
and it just has one connection.  LOL.  Many early IR cameras came with a
1.2 to 1.5 amp power supply.  20 amps is 1.2 and change per camera at 16
connections.  That (in theory) should never result in an overload from
normally operating cameras even with all turning on the IR LEDs at about
the same time.

Of course the big plus about the SMP10 is the onboard charger and
connections for a backup battery giving a few minutes of video in the
event of a power failure and uninterrupted feed during a momentary
flicker.  (If the customer lets you replace the batteries every couple
years like they should)

I've been doing some other control system work, and I've actually been
considering making my own DC power supplies for CCTV.  For one thing I
am working on that is basically what I am doing except its 90 volts and
potentially up to 80 amps (the transformer and caps are huge) for upto 4
(20 amp safety shutoff each) DC servo motors.  Realistically the whole
thing should never draw more than about 40 amps.  Not all motors should
ever be at max load at the same time.  I can see two though.