Re: Entry phone door release - PAL WinTec

On Sep 1, 1:23=A0pm, "Bob La Londe" <nos...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Look up "DoorBell Fon" by ANAC. =A0They have been selling a unit that doe=
> this for atleast ten years. =A0I have a couple on the shelf in the shop.
>
> "PeterD" <stillcen...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> > Pal WinTec offer a neat entry phone system. =A0It introduces a ring
> > tone, from a visitor pressing a button on the door panel, to all
> > ordinary phones in the house including cordless ones. =A0You can then
> > answer it and talk to the visitor, and activate the door lock release
> > if you want to let them in. =A0It can work with more than one door eg
> > front door and back door, using their PAL 102 system.
>
> > At least, that's what they claim. =A0But their documentation is poor
> > (the only detail is in Hebrew, not English!) and the system expects
> > telephone wires to be only a single pair, ie 2 wires, and does not
> > provide a standard plug to take the incoming phone or to output to the
> > cordless box. =A0Here in England, all the phone lines end with 4 wires,
> > and don't seem to work with the WinTec 2-wire assumption
> > - any advice on how to connect them would be very welcome!
>
> 4 wires? =A0Are you sure they actually use 4 wires? =A0The standard was t=
> provide 4 wires for ages, but here in the States we only use 2 wires for
> most applications. =A0Not at all sure how you Atlantic islanders implemen=
> telephone, but most modern phones only use two wires. =A0Some ancient 2 p=
arty
> lines used three. =A0Line on 2 and tip to ground and ring to ground for
> separate ringing voltage. =A0Not sure maybe some weird form of ground sta=
rt
> line with a separate ring to ground?
>
> There are some UK techs that visit this group once in a while. =A0Maybe o=
ne
> can take the time to educate us.

I know this is from ancient history but a LONG time ago, there was
what I think was called the "Princess" phone that required 4 wires. I
believe the extra two wires were used to power a light behind the
dialing mechanism. They may be doing something like that with the
extra two wires.