Re: Buried wire detection

"G. Morgan" <usenet_abuse@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:t9mr769giq9p6udt7disj40fk427vapge7@xxxxxxxxxx
> "ABLE1" <royboynospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>Check that the wire you are looking for is not shorted.  Must be open or
>>put
>>a 10ohm load in line.
>>Connect a 12vdc battery to a siren driver.
>>Connect the output of the siren driver to your wire.
>>Use your Tone Probe to trace the wire.
>>
>>Should get a tone at easily 8" - 10" from wire inside the wall.  It will
>>be
>>right under the loudest point.
>

> Never heard of that method.  Is that better than the tone generator that
> comes
> with the inductive probe?

Absolutely........ better that my probe for finding hidden wires in walls.
I set this up a number of years ago when I could not find a wire that I knew
had to be in this 8' section of wall.   I stripped out the siren driver
board from a flush mount speaker/siren.  Hooked it up and found the wire in
about 2 minutes.

I have since made one with alligator clips for the battery and the wire
connections and installed a 10ohm resistor to help save it from being
damaged by a short.  Stuck it in shrink tubing and it hangs on a hook in my
van for when it is needed again.  Which is not that often.

It really gives a much louder signal to the tone.  I use the warble tone as
opposed to the steady.

I should have patented the thing but...............................  too
late now.

Les