Re: Help with adding two window sensors to ADT alarm.

On Oct 27, 10:17=A0am, Frank Kurz <t...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 26/10/2010 6:15 PM, swarthmoredoc wrote:
>
> > Just added two new windows in my basement and would like to add my two
> > Honeywell wireless magnetic sensors to my existing system without
> > having ADT come out and charge me. =A0I have an ADT Safewatch panel
> > which is an adapted Vista 20P panel. =A0Apparently the ADT installer
> > code is a commonly available four digit number. =A0How would I add thes=
> > two sensors?
>
> > Thanks!
>
> > Bill
>
> I would advise against programming the panel yourself while you're still
> under contract.
>
> This having been said, I recently took over an ADT Vista 20. =A0Without a
> full alpha keypad I wouldn't attempt to add wireless devices. =A0The Vist=
> 20 manual is readily available online. =A0If the installer exited
> programming with *99 command you should be able to get "in" by powering
> the system down (remove battery and AC) and then powering back up. =A0Go
> to any keypad in the house within 60 seconds and press "*" and "#"
> together. =A0If the keypad displays "20", you're "in" and can proceed to
> program the system.
>
> You NEED a full alpha keypad. =A0You NEED the programming manual and some
> basic understanding of alarm terminology.
>
> If you screw up the programming sequence, the installer that ADT
> dispatches is liable to charge you double to fix it.

Its not a very good idea to tell someone how to get into programming
without knowing if the guy has the proper keypad or not, do you
honestly think he's going to know what an alpha keypad is? Now it's
likely he'll put it in programming anyway thanks to you and not have a
clue how to get out

I've seen this crap happen before, someone with no experience totally
hoses their system and will they admit it? of course not then it's
ADT's fault and of course everyone here piles on