Re: impact of corruption on alarm company

"Bob La Londe" wrote:

> I'm not a lawyer and I am not playing one on the internet.
> These comments are purely for conjecture and are worth
> less than you paid for them.

I think there's more to this than meets the eye.  Consider the sequence of
events.  A local contractor's plans have been approved by the FD.  Doubtless the
local contractor has been around the area for some time and is acquainted with
the FM like any contractor in a small city.  Heck, they're probably friends.

After starting work the contractor tries to rip the customer off, tripling the
price of the work.  The customer rightly seeks to get away from said rip-off.
If this situation was straight-up, no shenanigands, any FM in his right mind
would have simply given the guy time to comply.  Instead, this character comes
down like a ton of bricks on whoever he finds on the site.  Note that he's not
doing anything to the local contractor whose actions caused the delay.  He goes
after the customer?  Like that medical examiner said in the OJ trial, "Sump-sink
wrong!"

I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but this really looks like the FM and the
original contractor are in cahoots.  There's no way he does this sort of thing
regularly.

Most Fire Marshals are just decent guys trying to make sure we do our jobs
according to code and that nobody gets burned up.  Some of them can be
unreasonable.  A few are a royal pain, lording it over people to feed their
egos.  But this situation is so far beyond outrageous it stinks of collusion.  I
hope I'm wrong about this because if the FM really is corrupt then this customer
is going to have to fight in court for what should have been a routine matter.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics