nza.aioe.org...

> > "nick markowitz" <nmarkow...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
.

> >> Thats Him. have been getting recycled emails on him again.
>
> > Wind up heat detectors... =A0I have not thought of this in a million ye=
ars,
> > but ages ago we had a large travel trailer that had a wind up heat
> > detector mounted about 2 off the floor on the side of the kitchen count=
er.
> > My dad bought it because housing was always an issue in our rural area.
> > He would rent it to employees of our grocery store very cheap.
>
> > An employee fell asleep with a lit cigarette while watching TV in the
> > living room area. =A0He set the throw he had on the couch on fire along=
 with
> > his hair. =A0He said he wasn't sure if it was the windup heat detector
> > clattering away at him or the fact that his head was on fire that woke =
him
> > up. =A0LOL.
>
> > I know. =A0I know. =A0Its an anecdote that promotes a product most beli=
eve is
> > bad, but in that case it worked. =A0Please don't revoke my ASA card. =
=A0I
> > promise to come back and bad mouth a poor performing vendor again any d=
ay
> > now.
>
> My guess it was his hair being on fire that woke him up.
>
> Years ago these things were being sold to the Amish to be put in their
> bedrooms to let them know the house was on fire. =A0Sad part is the fuse =
link
> was set to 135F degrees and at that point you would already be dead.
>
> My Dad had bought a couple of them at a auction many years ago as a novel=
ty.
> At least on is still on the shelf some where in his shop. =A0I should pro=
bably
> grab that thing and start a "Museum of Bad Ideas".
>
> Les

I have a wind up one unit that an FM traded with me thats actually UL
approved.
its from 50's
he has a collection of Fire grenades as well .
they where glass filled globes with carbon tet you thru in a fire.
We have  a lot of Amish here in Pa and i still get requests from them
for the wind up heats.