Re: the cold smoke issue

"Bob La Londe" <nospam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:i2353d$hes$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> "nick markowitz" <nmarkowitz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> On Jul 19, 9:33 am, "Doug" <n...@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> "nick markowitz" <nmarkow...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

>>> I'm not sure if this is the person you were looking for, I don't think
>>> he
>>> was the one touting wind up heats over smoke detectors, but it might be
>>> somewhere to start
>>>
>>> Try googling Richard M Patton fire
>>>
>>> http://www.life-support-technologiesllc.com/10thousandchildren.html
>>>
>>> http://www.firecrusade.com/pdfs/TheIAFCChallenge.pdf
>>
>> Thats Him. have been getting recycled emails on him again.
>
> Wind up heat detectors...  I have not thought of this in a million years,
> but ages ago we had a large travel trailer that had a wind up heat
> detector mounted about 2 off the floor on the side of the kitchen counter.
> My dad bought it because housing was always an issue in our rural area.
> He would rent it to employees of our grocery store very cheap.
>
> An employee fell asleep with a lit cigarette while watching TV in the
> living room area.  He set the throw he had on the couch on fire along with
> his hair.  He said he wasn't sure if it was the windup heat detector
> clattering away at him or the fact that his head was on fire that woke him
> up.  LOL.
>
> I know.  I know.  Its an anecdote that promotes a product most believe is
> bad, but in that case it worked.  Please don't revoke my ASA card.  I
> promise to come back and bad mouth a poor performing vendor again any day
> now.

My guess it was his hair being on fire that woke him up.

Years ago these things were being sold to the Amish to be put in their
bedrooms to let them know the house was on fire.  Sad part is the fuse link
was set to 135F degrees and at that point you would already be dead.

My Dad had bought a couple of them at a auction many years ago as a novelty.
At least on is still on the shelf some where in his shop.  I should probably
grab that thing and start a "Museum of Bad Ideas".

Les