Re: using CAT5 for smoke detectors

Effenpig1 wrote:
> On Jan 10, 11:49 pm, "Christopher Glaeser"<nos...@xxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>>> Can't do it. NFPA72 says 18 gauge fire rated wire.
>>
>> An installer on another forum says he uses CAT5 for smoke detectors.  To
>> avoid nicks in the 24AWG and potential breakage, he strips the wire with his
>> fingernails.  Says he's been doing it for years.  I had assumed CAT5 was not
>> to code, hence my question.
>>
>> Best,
>> Christopher
>
> IMHO, It seems there are more installers who do things the wrong way
> than the right way. Most of them can't be convinced of the error of
> their ways because, as you mentioned, They've been doing it for years.
> All it takes is one substantial loss with an investigation and it's
> all over.
>
> Most proper uses of cat5 require the use of some kind of crimp on
> connector, which is kind of telling in itself. The conductors are too
> fragile too be stripped and put under terminals.

Alot has to do with costs. I can't tell you how many newer ADT, Brinks,
P-1 installs out there using standard 4 conductor for everything. Sure
it's wrong, but there are no wire police (inspectors) that actually
care, or just turn a blind eye. Many still use 24 gauge zip wire on new
construction, and even intercom wire to keypads. If every job was
required to be properly inspected prior to getting monitored, I doubt it
that anything would change.

Just think about the cable companies. According to NFPA72, the installer
is required to be a journeyman electrican to climb the same pole that
the home's electric power is on, to make the final connections...but
that always gets overlooked. I see these same bozos break out an all
alumium ladder and lean it on the power poles. These guys break more
OSHA safety rules than any industry I have ever seen, but life goes on.
If there is a buck to be made, you can rest assured someone will look
the other way, while the envelope slides across the table.

Jim Rojas