Re: using CAT5 for smoke detectors

On Jan 10, 8:11=A0pm, Jim Rojas <jro...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Christopher Glaeser wrote:
> > What are the building codes regarding the use of CAT5 to wire smoke
> > detectors in states like California? =A0Are there legal rammifications =
for
> > licensed installers?
>
> > Best,
> > Christopher
>
> Can't do it. NFPA72 says 18 gauge fire rated wire. I use 18/4 just in
> case we need to use 4 wire smokes in the future. I also use 18/4 for the
> transformer, and sirens. It keeps from stocking too many different wires
> on the truck. Please also note that if you use the fire keys on the
> keypad, that is considered a pull station. 18/4 for that as well. It
> sucks, but that's life.
>
> Jim Rojas

I'm glad someone agrees with me on this subject. I always use fire
wire for power, siren keypads and fire devices even if the system
doesn't initially have any fire devices. I always did it in case I was
asked to add fire protection to a system later, but if the fire panic
button constitutes a pull station then I guess on the systems I never
added fire protection to, the fire wire wasn't a waste after all.