Re: vista 20p and a 714 blaster driver module

On Feb 21, 1:41=EF=BF=BDpm, "LJP602" <l.pen...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for the insight, Nick, I have a few dc transformers around, is it =
ok
> to use them to power the 714 and if so how much power would it draw?
>
> Thanks Larry
>
> "nick markowitz" <nmarkow...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> On Feb 21, 8:43 am, "LJP602" <l.pen...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Getting close to finishing my system replacement and have a question of
> > compatibility. I can't seem to find a reference to it on the Honeywell
> > site.
> > My old system had a horn and a 714 blaster driver and I am wondering if=
> > can use it for the sounder in the vista 20p system. Seems like the
> > voltages
> > match but did find a reference on line to the need for a resister in th=
> > circuit so the driver does not draw too much power. Any one out there h=
ave
> > any experience with this setup or some advice for us newbie's.
>
> > Thanks Larry

Technically,  "dc transformers" are not transformers but DC power
supplies.

If you do use a plug in power supply, what's going to power your siren
during a power outage?
You'd be much better off getting a newer, more power effecient driver.

There is a way to use the 714, but it's unorthodox. By tapping
directly into your present standby battery positive lead with an in-
line fuse in series with the power lead to the driver. You'd be well
advised to use a 7Ah battery and use an appropriate size fuse to match
the requirements of the 714. (I've forgotten what they draw) However,
you'd be cutting down considerably on your standby time if the siren
were to trip during a power failure.

Siren drivers are really inexpensive, so if it were me, I'd get the
newer driver.
But knowing the nature of DIY'ers ....................