Re: OT: Interesting article on the healthcare bill

On Apr 2, 2:38=A0am, G. Morgan <usenet_ab...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "Robert L Bass" <rob...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >> So that's what it boils down to gentlemen. =A0The likes of Jim don't
> >> want any of their tax money helping poor people with health care. =A0
>
> >Please don't make this personal.
>

> What I don't understand is why he thinks the richest nation in the world =
should
> not provide healthcare as an entitlement. =A0I think it should be. =A0

Good for you, now you go pay for it

> Of course it
> is not in the United States Constitution, even as an amendment in the Bil=
l of
> Rights. =A0There has been no reason to include it as a basic entitlement =
until
> now. =A0The whole system got fucked up when HMO's and "managed care" beca=
me the
> norm (early 80's ??). =A0

Yet managed care is now the law of the land, what do you think this
whole healthcare bill was? Hello?

> What alternative do people on his side of fence recommend
> as an alternative? =A0Should those that can not afford healthcare insuran=
ce (which
> is WAY overpriced) just be forced to live (or die) due to their ailment?

Now these same people who supposedly couldn't afford healhcare before
must purchase it by law or face a $2,000 fine, smart idea.

BTW you can forget the lower cost of care, you can't insure everyone
without a massive jump in premiums, I'm amazed how easily people
forget how economies work.

>=A0It seems to me even conservatives should be able to see the benefit of =
keeping the
> whole population with affordable access to a doctor so they CAN get back =
to work
> and start producing.

Conservatives tend to favor less government involvement which is
currently causing most of the problems you see now

> What the opposing people like Jim (no insult, just an example) never ment=
ion is
> that we already have socialized medicine. =A0Emergency Rooms by law can n=
ot turn a
> patient away until they are "stabilized". =A0So, they may send an invoice=
 to those
> patients, many never get paid. =A0That is why the hospital has to bill yo=
ur
> insurance company $50 for 2 Tylenol pills, in order to stay afloat. =A0 T=
he
> insurance company just passes that cost to it's subscribers, so *they* ca=
n stay
> afloat. =A0So in reality wouldn't the people against HC reform at least
> acknowledge this fact of why premiums are so high?

So why is it you can't get it through your head when this is expanded
200% that those same companies won't also pass the cost along?

Simple math: if your costs are higher the cost of your service is
higher

> Not everyone was born with the intelligence Jim, You, I, and 99% of the o=
ur
> little ASA group here.

<snicker>