Re: lightning

"Christopher Glaeser"  wrote in message

> Here's a beter explanation of my question.  Using Cat 6 shielded cable and
> connectors as an example, is continuity of the shield important?  I
> reviewed a Cat 6 cable/connector installation guide, and it did not appear
> that there was any attempt to connect the cable shield to the connector
> shield.  So, I'm assuming the shields float and are not tied to ground, is
> that correct?
>
> Similar question regarding a low volage cable run.  Assume an indoor
> Altronix power supply and an outdoor 24 VAC IR illuminator.  Would you let
> the shielded power cable float, or would you ground the shield at the
> Altronix metal box?

For cat 6, if it is easy to connect a connector shield to the wire shield,
then do so, but otherwise don't worry about it.

So far as being contiguous, for your application and floating, I would think
non-contiguous would be better. If you were grounding it at one end and HAD
to keep out ALL noise like for a medical application, then it would be
important to have a contiguous ground shielding everything. Of course in
that situation you would not have the medical equipment mounted up high
outside!

As to the IR illuminator, it this was mounted high up outside, then I would
think a non-grounded box and the box not connected to the wire shield and
the wire shield not grounded would be best. The box would not be grounded
and the conducting of electricity would stop right there - dead end! And the
shielded wire would not be grounded, so another dead end! Not a path to
ground. And the power to this would be via a transformer and the secondary
winding would not be grounded, so another dead end, not a path to ground!

If I was a bolt of lightning, I would consider that IR illuminator a very
poor choice of an object to strike as there would be no path to ground! I
would strike elsewhere...