Re: lightning

Thanks, that all makes sense.  Thus far in summary:

- A direct lighting strike will destroy the equipment.

- A lightning rod could be used to transfer the energy to ground.

- Use surge protectors on all equipment.

- Use fully shielded cables.

- Use single point ground; avoid ground loops.

> And you would just peel back the shielding, then strip the wire as normal.

Here's a beter explanation of my question.  Using Cat 6 shielded cable and
connectors as an example, is continuity of the shield important?  I reviewed
a Cat 6 cable/connector installation guide, and it did not appear that there
was any attempt to connect the cable shield to the connector shield.  So,
I'm assuming the shields float and are not tied to ground, is that correct?

Similar question regarding a low volage cable run.  Assume an indoor
Altronix power supply and an outdoor 24 VAC IR illuminator.  Would you let
the shielded power cable float, or would you ground the shield at the
Altronix metal box?

Best,
Christopher