Re: lightning

On Sep 14, 5:35=A0pm, "Bob La Londe" <nos...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "Christopher Glaeser" <nos...@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> >> one for the security camera, the other for the rest of the lan..
>
> > I have separate switches for cameras and the rest of the LAN, but will =
the
> > POE camera switch protect the rest of the LAN and everything attached?
>
> From a direct hit? =A0Not a chance. =A0From a near miss? =A0Not likely. =
=A0From a
> distant miss. =A0Maybe if there is a direct solid conductor to ground.

National Electrical Code section 900 requires Surge protection
equipment on outdoor wiring entering buildings.
that goes for all low voltage cables. To prevent and deter lightning
from entering a structure. look at any telco or cable install they do
so should you. Do not do it and a strike hits a pole and comes in and
destroys a network or worse yet causes a fire and plan on getting your
butt sued. First thing looked at by an insurance investigator when
there's a claim is to check and see that the installation meets all
applicable codes. If it does not expect to get cited as the cause of
the failure. I know because i do investigations for insurance
companies.

I have had several direct hits where lightning has hit structures and
there was damage but the surge protectors along  proper bonding and
grounding protection limited it and also helped prevent the structure
from catching fire.

That said a number of manufacturers make surge protection products for
networks including Ditek, Stormin Protection etc. both plug in and
punch down.