Re: I'm just plugging websites still under construction

"too fat for a ladder" wrote:

> I don't want to wait 11 years to hit the top 10 and I am having second
> thoughts about touching the adwords stove again...

I was only kidding about the decade-long wait.  It doesn't take long to get
noticed if you generate lots of content and lots of links.

> A shortcut would be to create many identical sites, with identical keywords
> and cross link them...

Others have done that for a while.  Google is onto that and they actually
degrade sitres that get caught doing it.  Their software is sophisticated
enough to spot it pretty quickly.

> Google is big on content now (which makes me wonder why they weren't
> concerned with it before?), and using copycats would keep the Google
> crawlers pretty busy...

Not really.  Even having two similar sites like mine is risky with Google.  If
you create a bunch they'll spot it and might ignore your sites completely.

> From what I understand they aren't too big on meta tags anymore...

That's the word on the street.  Meta tags are still useful in controlling how
your site appears in search returns though, so do them right.

> Whatever the case may be I wish they'd just decide once and for all which
> way the wind blows on the damn search engine.

The problem is people keep coming up with new ways to trick the search engines
into giving their sites better placement.  Google, in turn, keeps coming up
with ways to defeat them.  The game will never end.  Your best bet is to
generate lots of relevant content, *lots* of pages and keep changing things
regularly.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass