Re: 21 Things a Burglar Won't Tell You

In article <SJydnRUBHfhVETjXnZ2dnUVZ_v6dnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, 1D10T wrote:

>"aemeijers" <aemeijers@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> 1D10T wrote:
>>>
>>> My doors all have a brightly colored sign saying:
>>>
>>> BY THE TIME YOU READ THIS, YOU HAVE BEEN PHOTOGRAPHED AND VIDEO TAPED
>>> ALL IMAGES TRANSMITTED OFF-SITE
>>
>> Most burglars around these parts would have no idea what the second
>> sentence means. A significant portion of them would have trouble with the
>> first sentence. An obvious lit-up camera, even a dummy one, would have a
>> greater deterrent effect.
>
>So will my 145 pound mastiff - trained not to bark.

  How about one that does bark at burglars?

  Not that I have any sympathy for burglars, but I suspect you will
protect your home at least as successfully (more so in the less common
cases where the burglar has a gun), and you also have less explaining to
do.

  The non-barking 145 pound dog sounds like a good idea in lands where I
can get away with booby-trapping my bike:

  My bike is a fixed gear track bike with a front brake.  I work very well
with high reliance on front brakes, and the bike due to being a fixed
gear track bike has a provision for rear braking.

  The booby-trap is adding a rear brake, rear brake cable, and rear brake
lever.  Most bike thieves are of caliber of cyclists that heavily use rear
brakes at least as much as front, or even rear alone.

  Not easily noticeable to bike thieves is that the cable going rearward
from the rear brake lever is not the same one going rearward towards the
rear brake from the seat post.  The cable actuated by the rear brake lever
pulls the pin out of the hand grenade under the seat.
  Maybe remove the fragmentation casing from the grenade - so that male
bike thieves have some chance at surviving removal of themselves from the
gene pool.  Maybe not if they but not those they know are likely to
retaliate.

  Too great a chance for curious children to play with my parked bike,
however.

 - Don Klipstein (don@xxxxxxxxx)