Re: DIY alarms with $10 monitoring?

"BigCheese" wrote:

> Yeah, they're really looking to tap into the DIY market. Seen a few
> discussions on some of the DIY forums, must be looking to compete with
> Alarmrelay. They're also reselling alarm.com monitoring dirt cheap,
> bastards.

Why do you call them bastards.  Doesn't almost every small dealer in the
country resell monitoring from one or another of the national CS's?  Even if
they sell it dirt cheap, that shouldn't affect your business at all.  DIY
doesn't really compete with professional installation.  Those who are willing
and able to DIY will never buy an installed system and those who can't rarely
consider DIY.  If you do a good job and your prices are at least reasonable,
your business will do alright, regardless what some other company is doing.

I once got a call from a very irate alarm installer (he might have only been a
salesman; I'm not sure).  Apparently, he gave a customer a bid for a Napco
system and the client later searched for Napco online to see if the price was
fair.  When the client saw that my prices were about 1/4 of what he wanted he
asked why.  Instead of correctly pointing out that DIY comes with limited
support, parts warranty only and no on site service, the guy flipped out and
lost the sale.

I tried to explain to him how to win the sale in that situation but he could
only see that I charge less and that made him angry.  Tough for him but I
didn't hear from the client anyway.  He probably hired some other local
installer.  Oh, well.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass