Re: DIY alarms with $10 monitoring?

"Robert L Bass" <Sales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:qfednWH7C8mNyXjXnZ2dnUVZ_qmdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> "BigCheese" wrote:
>>
>> Yeah, they're really looking to tap into the DIY market. Seen a few
>> discussions on some of the DIY forums, must be looking to compete with
>> Alarmrelay. They're also reselling alarm.com monitoring dirt cheap,
>> bastards.
>
> Why do you call them bastards.  Doesn't almost every small dealer in the
> country resell monitoring from one or another of the national CS's?  Even
> if they sell it dirt cheap, that shouldn't affect your business at all.
> DIY doesn't really compete with professional installation.  Those who are
> willing and able to DIY will never buy an installed system and those who
> can't rarely consider DIY.  If you do a good job and your prices are at
> least reasonable, your business will do alright, regardless what some
> other company is doing.
>
> I once got a call from a very irate alarm installer (he might have only
> been a salesman; I'm not sure).  Apparently, he gave a customer a bid for
> a Napco system and the client later searched for Napco online to see if
> the price was fair.  When the client saw that my prices were about 1/4 of
> what he wanted he asked why.  Instead of correctly pointing out that DIY
> comes with limited support, parts warranty only and no on site service,
> the guy flipped out and lost the sale.
>
> I tried to explain to him how to win the sale in that situation but he
> could only see that I charge less and that made him angry.  Tough for him
> but I didn't hear from the client anyway.  He probably hired some other
> local installer.  Oh, well.

I run into that with digital video recording all the time.  Why can't I just
throw a card in this computer I already have and put in those 49 dollar
cameras off of Ebay.  My reply is always the same.  YOU can.  Save your
receipts and check their return policies.  If you are happy installing your
own system and it works for you it may be the best option for YOU.