Re: False Alarm

Injun Ear wrote:

> Last night, I got a call from my monitoring service saying my hall
> motion detector had tripped the alarm.  We were at a church meeting.
> They said they were sending the cops.  When we arrived home everything
> was intact.  No doors or windows breached.
>
> So, what could have caused the Honeywell Aurora motion detector, that
> was just installed 3 months ago, to go off?  Could it be a loose
> connection or could it be a bug walking across the contacts?  I
> installed this system myself using most of the existing wiring from my
> old system.  This is the first problem I have had with it.

I wouldn't have a clue.  There are many possible causes for a false
alarm of this nature (a loose wire being but one of them).  Check that
you've met all the installation parameters (height, coverage, etc.).
Often the most overlooked is the "range" adjustment (usually involves
moving the circuit board up and down).  Adjust the range so that the top
protection "fingers" strike the floor no more than 40 feet away (having
a PIR look into "infinity" is not a good plan).  If the problem
persists, I'd go with a better PIR (Paradox line would be my
recommendation).