Re: Foiling ??

On Oct 19, 8:59=EF=BF=BDam, "Robert L Bass" <Sa...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> > What connections?
>
> The foil is connected to the wiring using "foil blocks" which are little
> squares with screws and plates on top and adhesive on the back. =EF=BF=BD=
The usual
> technique is to make a tiny "Z" fold for expansion, run the foil up over =
the
> top of the block and fold it back again, then secure it with the plate an=
> screw. =EF=BF=BDFinally the wiring is attached to the screw. =EF=BF=BDNot=
 everyone uses the
> little "Z" fold first, but we found that if the block comes loose it's no=
t as
> likely to break the foil when there's an extra 1/4" of foil there.
>
> --
>
> Regards,
> Robert L Bass

I know this is going to sound like one of those stories about having
to walk 5 miles to school, up hill both ways but ..... when I first
started, we didn't even know what that kind of foil block was. Our
foil blocks had solder tabs on them and we soldered the tabs on to the
foil. Let me tell you about a lost art. Try soldering a piece of foil
with almost the same consistancy as the solder, to a brass tab. We
used to use the old Unger soldering irons with the ceramic screw-in
elements. 23 =EF=BF=BD watts.