Re: Gate Sensor?

Steve wrote:
> "G. Morgan" <usenet_abuse@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 22:09:50 GMT, "Steve" <nospam@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> RV storage area with two 15ft gates mounted to metal gate posts not
>>> attached
>>> to the main building.  Looking to put a contact on it.  Anything readily
>>> off
>>> the shelf?
>>>
>>> GRI makes 3/4 and 1 inch contacts for metal doors.  Anybody make 1/2 inch
>>> ones?
>> I'd use an overhead door contact, for the durability and the extra "gap"
>> you'll need for a gate.
>
> How should I get from the gate into the post?  Some sort of flexible look I
> would think, but not sure where to find it.
>
> TIA

I don't think a mag/contact type switch is going to work for you.  It
would be very easy to circumvent.  I'd suggest going with a "pull-apart"
connector you can supervise.  On similar installations we used
automotive trailer connectors (they're weather-proof and very robust).
Armoured cable from the two halves of the pull-apart to a couple of
outdoor single gang boxes mounted on each gate (you can buy empty
outdoor flex to run the wires in).  Contact the covers to prevent
tampering and mount an end-of-line resistor in the one box.  On the
other gate you'll have to run some flex down the top (or bottom) to the
post to another weather-proof box on the post (leave enough slack to be
able to open and close the gate without putting any strain on the flex).
  You'll have to secure the flex to the gate and the post.  Then it's up
to you how you want to run it to the side of the main building and
interface it with the buildings security system.