Re: Bosch CCTV distance dilemna

"Silicon Sam" wrote in message

>  My concern was the 24 gauge Cat 2 or 3 TP, when the Bosch calls
> for18Ga Shielded for the comm.  A lot of the other cameras in other
> buildings do use the correct cable, and they work fine.

Very good point! Over long distances, you get "voltage drop". And the
smaller the wire, the more the voltage drop! So the idea with longer
distances is to use a larger gauge wire. Search the internet for the
words...

voltage drop calculator

...and you can plug in a few numbers. See the results with different wire
sizes and distances.

Then shielding will make for a more clear signal. A long wire acts as an
antenna picking up all sorts of electrical "noise". Ground the shield at one
end only to prevent "ground loops". More on these here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/groundloop