Re: central station monitoring in US/Canada?

I cannot speak for Canada, since we don't do anything there, but I will go
out on a limb by saying that the procedures are probably very similar. Here
in the states, city, county and state goverments have ordinaces, laws in
place to govern how alarm activity by a central station is to be handled.
Some police departments have made policy for their department as to how to
handle alarm activity. This is not a "one shoe fits all" issue. In most
locations, a verification call, to the premise, is required prior to
dispatching the authorities. In some areas, a second verification call to a
cell phone for instance is required. Many disagree with this, however, it is
documented by their own departments that the areas in which this requirement
has been initiated have experienced a 40-70% decline in unnecessary police
dispatches. Some areas have gone to a verification process which is that
someone needs to respond to the alarm and call if there is police needed.
IMO a very dangerous policy even for security guards. Most are not armed.
One of these communities are even considering varification of fire. I feel
sorry for the citizens that live in that area.Then there are areas that have
a "no response" policy. They are not going, period, to a third party
request. These are different ways that different jurisdictions are handling
the alarm calls to their cities. Because of the rising amount of
installations in all cities, the PD's have had to handle their response
differently. It is very political within their city and county governments
and their budget plays a huge roll in the decision. One thing is for sure.
Those that have opted to go to either verified response or no response have
seen an increase in property crimes. Check out www.siacinc.org

Bob W.