Re: Just doing business on OPM

news:441912ce-c3e5-4e9c-bf04-bf81aa0dff10@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Apr 30, 11:07?am, "Bob Worthy" <secur...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "Crash Gordon" <webmas...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> > oh no I totally agree, they think because we're small (micro actually)
> > that we will be their whipping boys.
>
> I watched a major builder (Toll Brothers) burn out 3 different companies
> on
> one small development (120 homes). The low voltage package was sent out
> for
> bid again and yet another company picked it up. The housing market crashed
> so I imagine the 4th company crashed with it. I wonder why our industry
> stands in line to be abused. Amazing. When will these mega companies
> figure
> out that almost every bit of technology, in todays world, is tied to low
> voltage applications at some point and that the industry needs to be paid
> perform? These companies are masters at figuring out how to stretch you
> out.
> With the best of contracts, you can be stretched out 45 days+ even if
> contract payment is set for 30 day pay. Mailing from out of state could
> put
> another 5 days on it. Watch out for pay schedules that require all
> invoicing
> to be in by the 20th of the month for approval so that it can be in the
> main
> office by the 30th. They will hold you off until after the 20th on doing
> the
> work so that you cannot bill until the 20th of the following month. Now
> you
> are out 70 days. Also, I found it necessary to put each billable item on
> separate invoice. This way, if an invoice contains an item that is not
> approved and is kicked back, approved items will not be held up for
> payment.
> All this is mostly with the residential builders. Larger commerial and
> industrial is percentage draws which isn't as bad. The draw isn't on
> schedule, the work stops. Much easier.

My only guess as to why there always seems to be someone to take the
leap, is that there's always that new company who hasn't been through
the bumps yet who's willing to take the risk or doesn't think or know
it's a risk. The builders are aware of this and just keep throwing out
the bait until they catch another dumb fish.

It's like becoming a star in show business. The alarm company thinks
that with a job this size they can become a big business and that all
the builders will come to them. That they can become a "Star". I'm
sure there are a few that do but the percentages of those that don't,
is too much bigger.

It's the fish who get away with minimum damage that get smart.

Right now, there are still other trades and professions that can do
some of what we can do.
It may take another decade or so .... but the industry is slowly
maturing. Eventually, and especially because it's technology driven,
and the future is technology ......  it will be a totally recognized
and respected trade.

And we will have been it's pioneers.

All so true. If these young upstarts will just remember that pigs get fat
and hogs get slaughtered. I think about it as, when we all were young, Dad
didn't know anything until we were in our late twenties early thirties. Then
all of a sudden, Dad became really smart. Sometimes I wish he would have
been that smart when I was in my teens. It would have saved me alot of time
and trouble.