Re: DSC Opinions Please

JoeRaisin wrote:

>G. Morgan wrote:
>> ABLE1 wrote:
>>
>>> Would you care to expand your comments on    "run"    Towards or away
>>> from???
>>>
>>> BTW the Maxsys is a Fire/Burg/Access capable panel.
>>
>> Run away.  I don't like those combo panels at all, I did a few Vista128FB's
>> with fire & burg. and it turned out to be a service nightmare.   I'd split
>> them up, but you may have a pressing need to use a combo panel.
>>

>What problems did you have with the Vistas?
>
>We use a lot of the FA1600CB's and I haven't seen too many problems.

Well, it was lack of knowledge and understanding of the other techs mostly.

I put a Vista-128FB in a large veterinary hospital.  It had about 12 smokes, 3
pulls, plus the burg. devices.  One night they had a (false) fire alarm and
the on-call tech went to investigate.  He didn't know anything about the panel
so he triggered the silent tamper when he opened the can door.

Then he goes about troubleshooting, to his dismay only finding 1k resistance
on the fire loop.  All hard-wired panels must have a 4.7k EOLR he thought.  So
he spends all night out there, gets a visit from the police, and finally
sometime early the next morning notices the smoke above the panel is in alarm
(dog hair in chamber).  He didn't know how to reset it either, he was used to
a big-ass 'reset' button present on 'real' panels.

Granted, the story itself is not reason to dismiss using one... but I'll bet
those tech's in Waco still dread servicing the 'bastard' panel I put in for
them.

--
"Newspaper claims car thief transformed into a goat"
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090124/ap_on_fe_st/odd_goat_thief_5

**Important Update**
Magic goat detained for armed robbery:
http://news.uk.msn.com/odd-news/Article.aspx?cp-documentid=13298291